It’s time for the weekly bike news roundup! This is an open thread. What’s on your mind?
Did you enjoy that video by StreetFilms? Then please consider giving to their year-end fundraising drive so they can keep making awesome, inspiring and easy-to-understand videos about urban design around the nation and the world!
Due to comments on last week’s roundup, I’ll try breaking this week’s list into a section for Seattle and a section for elsewhere. First up, Seattle:
- Crosswalk carnage: Why do cops still ignore drivers who won’t yield? | Crosscut.com
- Seattle U starts a cycling team
- Stagnant Wages + Expensive Gas = Less Driving | Sightline Daily – One of those two factors is worth promoting.
- Ready? Set? Register! « Streets + Beets – Register for the Alleycat Acres ride today!
- Bike buying basics — don’t buy based on style alone | KOMO News – With a visit to Montlake Bike Shop
- No cellphones, no texting by drivers, US urges | Seattle Times Newspaper – Oh please oh please can we pass this? Hands-free doesn’t help (much), studies show.
- A cellphone ban for drivers? Don’t count on it in Washington | Seattle Times Newspaper – Rats.
News from outside the state:
- Cycle like the Danes to cut carbon emissions, says study | Environment | The Guardian – Though Copenhagenize swears that almost nobody in Denmark chooses to cycle simply for environmental reasons, the facts are staggering (and this study does not even include the CO2 impact of car culture!)
- BikePortland.org » Responding to feedback, BTA clarifies and modifies helmet policy
- The good folks at the Path Less Pedaled are in New Zealand these days, and they posted this awesome music video asking for a bike facility on a major bridge in Auckland:
- Cycling On The Harbour Bridge – The Electric Era – YouTube
- Number of Bicyclists Keeps Climbing, City Says – NYTimes.com – If you build the lanes (well), people will bike in them!
- Car Crashes Hit A New Low | Sightline Daily
- Tech Roundup: ‘soft’ Swiss helmet from Ribcap, women’s Ella range from Velobici plus more cycling books & art | road.cc – The future of bike helmets?
- A Walkable Roller Coaster For Those Afraid Of The Usual Kind : TreeHugger
- NHTSA data shows drop in traffic and bike deaths — and cyclists fare as well in collisions as motorists « BikingInLA
- On The Cheap: Cycling loses its safety ambassador – mcall.com – Sad news from Bethlehem, PA
- DeLorean | Flickr – Photo Sharing! – DeLoreans and bikes
- Task Force Recommends $20B for Transportation | PubliCola
- Best of Blog: Do we really care about children? – Strong Towns Blog – Strong Towns
- Biking Bis – Bicycle Touring :: And now for something completely different — transformer bicycle
- The Urban Country Bicycle Blog: We’ve Been Carjacked
Finally, here’s an awesome (if not Internet scammy) infographic about cycling and health: