Shine On Seattle, an organization that promotes renewable energy in Seattle schools, is hosting a bike ride October 9. The money raised during the ride will be used to buy shares in the city’s Community Solar Project on behalf of several schools.
The ride will start at Gas Works Park. If you sign up online by October 8, you save $5 on the registration.
The Shine On Seattle bike ride will:*Fund solar panels through the Seattle Community Solar Project and give the energy credits to Seattle schools.
* Create educational opportunities for local students
* Increase awareness of Seattle’s renewable energy resources
*Support construction of solar-paneled picnic shelters via the “Community Solar Project”
* Build community ties across our neighborhoods
Local schools in Ballard, Queen Anne, Fremont, Wallingford, and Magnolia will be benefiting from this initiative, and the opportunity is open to all area schools with a Seattle City Light account.
- Check In and Registration begins at 8:00 am.
- The ride will depart by school/organization from Gas Works Park beginning at 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, October 9.
- The route will follow the Burke-Gilman Trail for 5 miles, with a turnaround just south of Magnuson Park for a total of 10 miles.
- Riders may also choose to shorten the ride so long as they tell their ride sweep.
- At the finish line at Gas Works Park, we’ll celebrate our accomplishments together. Check out the tables for information on other “green” opportunities.
- Don’t forget to pick up your Shine On Seattle reusable grocery “goodie” bag after the ride.
- All riders must download (www.shineonseattle.org)and sign a waiver and wear a helmet in order to ride.