3-Way Street from ronconcocacola on Vimeo. (h/t Transportation Nation)
So much awesome bike stuff on the Intertubes these days. It’s hard to keep track of it all. As always, if I am missing anything, be sure to post your favorite bike links from around the world in the comments. Consider these news roundups to be open threads. Discuss whatever bike or transportation thoughts you have.
- How to bike naked in the Fremont Solstice Parade. It’s June 18. Are you ready? Are you riding? Are you going to stand by creepily taking photos?
- Seattle residents in 1961 protested this horrible planned ditch that promised to forever divide their neighborhoods.
- In the mayor’s ongoing and relentless war on cars, his most recent move was to LOWER THE COST OF PARKING at the Pacific Place parking garage downtown. Seems like a strange battle strategy, but perhaps its a decoy? Or maybe this whole “war” metaphor is just completely absurd and nonexistent….
- Children At Play signs are endangering your children.
- Now THIS is a school bike train. Love it!
- But don’t worry, Portland’s not the only place that pull off an awesomely huge school bike train. 35 percent of students at Seattle’s Bryant Elementary participated in Bike to School Day!
- Decked out bikes in Panama.
- How to organize your own bike ride for any reason, whenever you want no matter who you are.
- Seward Park Centennial Tweed Ride recap with photos.
- Bike to Work Day? Old news. It’s time for Tallbike to Work Day!
- Speaking of tallbikes, here’s a recap of the Memorial Day Cargo Bike Ride by Eric at Tubulocity.
- Here’s a couple blocks of Aloha that bring out the worst in drivers, says Josh King.
- Portland Mayor Sam Adams was rear-ended by someone riding a bike while he was driving the city’s Prius. No, it’s not a parody cartoon, it actually happened.
- Washington troopers write 6,850 tickets under year-old cellphone law. By my rough estimates, that is 0.0006 percent of the people in Washington actually using their cellphones while driving (gotta start somewhere!).
- I love the term “peak car.”
- Speaking of which, more evidence that people in Seattle are driving far less than we used to.
- Also, more evidence that building more roads only leads to more congestion. Also, the photo attached to this post is incredible.
- Supreme Court Justice Breyer broke his collarbone in a bike accident. No details yet on what happened.
- In other Supreme Court transportation wreck news, Antonin Scalia was ticketed for causing a four-car pile-up.
- If you live in Oklahoma, tell Sen. Inhofe to get his act together and stop impeding bike and pedestrian funding.
- Bike tourism brings in dough.
- Commuting by skateboard in Tacoma.
- Vote for Totcycle, Familyride and Car Free Days in this family bike blog campaign. Seattle family bikers represent!
- Gas is expensive, so this Time blogger started biking.
Here’s an awesome video about a freak bike maker posted by BikeJuJu:
This one’s been making the rounds:
This guy has had 36 bikes stolen:
36 Bicycles from Ian Fraser on Vimeo.
A massive bike share system in Hangzhou, China:
The Biggest, Baddest Bike-Share in the World: Hangzhou China from Streetfilms on Vimeo.