499 are green. One is yellow.
Pronto Cycle Share has launched its first “unicorn bike.” It’s a new marketing scheme and game where they put one special yellow bike into circulation and encourage people to post on social media using the hashtag #VitaminP when they find it.
It’s rainy and grim out, so the yellow bike is supposed to be like a little bit of sunshine. Riding a bike can help but cheer you up, so it’s like medicine in a Seattle winter. It definitely works that way for me.
If you spot the bike and post about it on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, you’ll have a chance to win a prize.
While this unicorn bike is solely promotional for Pronto, the concept could also be used for sponsored marketing campaigns. For example, when I was last in Chicago, I found the Divvy #blackhawksbike, which promoted the start of the NHL team’s season. It was surprisingly fun to find the one bike that is different than the others. I even had some guy in a pickup roll down his window next to me and congratulate me on finding it (I thought he was gonna yell some anti-bike stuff at me, so that was a pleasant surprise).
Now, I must find the yellow Pronto and ride it. Rain be damned.
UPDATE: Here’s an update on Pronto usage in the 15 weeks since it launched:
Bike share launched October 13, 2014. Just 15 weeks later, Pronto had:
- Total Membership: 2,145 Annual Members and 4,401 24 Hour & 3 Day Pass Holders
- Trips Taken: 28,622 rides with an average of 258 miles per day
- Miles Logged: 56,440 (2+ trips around the earth)
- CO2 Reduced: 45,840 lbs of carbon dioxide emissions, or 2,334 gallons of gasoline
- Calories Burned: 2,426,933 or 17,335 cans of cola.
1. REI / Yale Ave N & John St REI Station
2. 3rd Ave & Pike St
3. PATH / 9th Ave & Westlake Ave GroupHealth Station
4. Westlake Ave & 6th Ave GroupHealth Station
5. 7th Ave & Pine St Seattle Children’s Station
6. E Harrison St & Broadway Ave E GroupHealth Station
7. 2nd Ave & Vine St
8. Occidental Park / Occidental Ave S & S Washington St
9. Pier 69 / Alaskan Way & Clay St REI Station
10. Republican St & Westlake Ave N GroupHealth Station