It’s the Bike News Roundup! I hope your web browser is ready for this new tab blitz.
First up, Copenhagen has outdone itself again on the whole transportation cycling thing. The element here that sticks out the most to me is not even the awesome bike snake, it’s the green lights lining their bike lanes that tell you whether you are going to make the green light or not. So not only are their stop lights timed to bike speed (AKA a “green wave”), but now the bike lanes themselves will tell you whether you are in it or falling behind. Simply brilliant:
Pacific Northwest News
- Hit-and-run victim’s mom never gave up hope | KING5.com Seattle
- Seattle’s annual Dead Baby Downhill bike race ‘like ‘Road Warrior’ on steroids’ | Quirksee
- Mayor Mike McGinn at the National Gathering – Strong Towns Blog
- The C Is For Crank: Drivers vs. Reality Edition | Seattle Met
- Ask BikePortland: What if all of Portland’s bikers decided to drive for one day?
- East Link: Rainier Station Open House | The Urbanist
- Beers and Bikes in Seattle with R+E Cycles | Eat Magazine
- The case for streetcar as pro-bike infrastructure – BikePortland.org
- What happened to Vancouver’s bike share plans? | Metro
- Family bike camping 2014 recap | Family Ride
- Need Your Comments: New Zoning Recommendations for 35th | Ravenna-Bryant
- Bicyclist hit on Shelton highway | The Seattle Times
- Guess who pedals in with visiting Puget-area bicycle riders: Gov. Inslee — Olympic Peninsula Daily news
- Business cycles — the two-wheeled kind — on the upswing in Seattle – Puget Sound Business Journal
- Seattle’s Transit Tunnel Is About To Get Busier | The Urbanist
- Do you walk to work? Tell us about it – Seattle Times survey
- How do I pass through an intersection with no stop or yield signs? – Seattle PI
- PhinneyWood | Saturday was a gorgeous day for Summer Streets
- ‘Angels looking out for everyone’ as car crashes into daycare | KING5.com Seattle – Woman who drives through two classrooms is allowed to drive away from the scene. No charges expected. WTF?
- Target Zero Initiative – Logo Survey – Kenmore wants your help picking a logo for their Target Zero efforts
- What to do if you see a hit-and-run | seattlish
- Education and Volunteer Manager – Job listing at Evergreen MTB
- West Seattle’s first bike corral now in place in The Junction | West Seattle Blog
- Transit Reporting, Advocacy and Politics: The Center City Connector | The Urbanist
- Seattle Neighborhood Greenways meets with Mayor Murray’s Transpo Advisor
- Brooks Sports Moves New Home Closer to Trails – NYTimes.com
- Renton pedestrian critically injured – Seattle PI
- Newly opened South Park bridge may be a path to crime | KOMO News – Face, meet palm.
- Reanimating Bertha, a Mechanical Behemoth Slumbering Under Seattle – NYTimes.com
Halftime show! Buenos Aires has been busy getting into the BRT and bike/walk streets game, and it’s working wonderfully:
National & Global News
- Want to breathe as little pollution as possible? Pedal at exactly 11 mph – BikePortland.org
- Robin Williams: His passion for cycling – CNN.com
- After 23 million rides, no deaths in U.S. bike share programs | Reuters – Wow. Zero. This is why bike share is more important than an adult helmet law (even if you are in favor of helmets).
- Deputy was texting before fatally hitting ex-Napster exec on bike – LA Times
- Hundreds Protest After Omaha Mayor Scraps City’s Only Bike/Ped Planner | Streetsblog USA
- If You Live Near A Bike Lane, You’re Probably Healthier | Co.Exist
- How Bike-Friendly Streets Help Denmark Combat Inequality | Streetsblog USA
- Why Biking & Walking Advocates Love and Hate the Census – Alliance for Biking & Walking
- The Problem With “Share the Road” Safety Campaigns | Streetsblog.net
- Pedestrians Dying at Disproportionate Rates in America’s Poorer Neighborhoods
- 15-Day Maximum Sentence for Unlicensed Driver Who Killed Bronx Senior | Streetsblog New York City
- Should cyclists be allowed to listen to music? – Telegraph
- Bicyclist claims Sunset Hills mayor swerved car into him; mayor has different version : STLToday
- Europe Wants To Turn The Iron Curtain Into A Bike Path | Co.Design
- De Blasio Deal Could Give Bike Sharing in New York a New Imprint – NYTimes.com
- Wisdom from readers on African-American biking rates | PeopleForBikes
- Other Cities Look to Tear Down Their Old Highways, But Not Denver | Streetsblog USA
- Our Bodies, Our Bikes by Elly Blue — Kickstarter – Once a zine, now ready to become a book!
This is an open thread.