It’s time for the Bike News Roundup! It’s been a while, so it’s a long one.
First up, Kidical Mass in Tacoma is awesome and adorable.
Pacific Northwest News
- Bikes good for businesses, group says | Business in Vancouver – Former bike lane opponents change their tune after seeing all the new bike business.
- Is Seattle Really Seeing an Uptick In Cycling? – Another awesome and super in-depth look at Fremont Bike Counter data, this time from Jake Vanderplas.
- The Eastside Rail Corridor | The Urbanist
- Sound Transit’s Long Range Plan: Or How to Cook a Train | Seattle Transit Blog
- PPB Chief Reese takes a shift with downtown bike patrol – BikePortland.org
- Speed cameras: Driver teaches city a lesson about speeding in Seattle school zones | The Seattle Times – Apparently those school zone speed cameras has two too many words on them, so lawyer gets away without paying.
- Warning signs use radar to detect bicyclists » Biking Bis
- Rocking the walking: Millennials drive new urban spaces | KING5.com Seattle – I think they meant to say “don’t drive”
- Bike-to-transit mobile trip planner launches in Portland – BikePortland.org – I want for the Seattle region
- The Arboretum’s Ramps to Nowhere by Jen Graves – The Stranger
- Northgate Pedestrian/Bike Bridge – safety & personal security – City Comforts, the blog
- Law allowing motorcyclists to run red lights goes into effect | KING5
- Running a stop sign could cost you $87 | Cascade Bicycle Club
- City leaders focusing on bike lanes, $15 an hour as Seattle goes down toilet – The Dori Monson Show – Dori blames seeing a “pregnant drug abuser” downtown on bike lanes. Once again, proving that Dori is not even good at being a shock jock (he’s too obvious with his dumb statements)
- Renton teen recovering after life-threatening hit-and-run | KOMO News
- Personal Privilege and Biking: It Takes More than a Bike Lane to Start Riding | Washington Bikes
- A new multi-day bike tour guide for Washington state » Biking Bis
- Silly Hilly’s Recommendations for the Central Area Greenway | Cascade Bicycle Club
- Carless in Seattle: How it feels to ditch it and get there other ways | The Seattle Times – A fun read, even if the author seems to dismiss biking as a real transportation option (even after it proves to be among the fastest ways to get around)
- Enumclaw Bicycling: Racing and Pie | Washington Bikes
- Bicyclist struck, killed by SUV on Hwy. 20 near Oak Harbor | KOMO News
- 2014 Seattle Summer Streets – Alki – an album on Flickr
- Seattle adding speed-enforcement cameras at 5 schools | Seattle Times
The city shouldn’t be allowed to close a bike lane and sidewalk like this. Close car lanes first. pic.twitter.com/9QJatUUe93
— Ben Schiendelman (@BenSchie) May 28, 2014
- Cycle Track Showdown by Ansel Herz – The Stranger
- Landlord looks to reduce car ownership by buying a shared car for its tenants – BikePortland.org
- Could ‘presumptive liability’ keep Seattle cyclists safe? | KING5.com Seattle
- SDOT Blog » Designing Streets for Safety – Plans for a safer Lake City Way
- My Ballard » Salmon Bay School wins K-8 Golden Pedal Award
Halftime show! Parking craters are awful and destroy American city centers.
National & Global News
- 14 ways to make bike lanes better (the infographic) | PeopleForBikes
- Dallas appears set to repeal its bicycle helmet requirements for adults | Dallas Morning News
- Ohio Puts the Squeeze on People’s Right to Walk | Streetsblog USA – Worst idea ever.
- Portlander’s ‘protected intersection’ concept gets first on-street demo (in Minneapolis) – BikePortland.org
- Daily bike trips in Chicago reach 125,000, exceeding car traffic on busy Chicago streets | Active Transportation Alliance
- Surprise! People Aged 60-79 Are Behind More Than a Third of the Biking Boom | Streetsblog USA
- This Year San Diego Added 39.1 Miles of Buffered Bike Lanes | BikeSD
- Human Transit: Transitmix: a new tool for armchair transit planners (and pros too?) – I played around with it and created a new bus line (46) from Mount Baker Station to Ballard via the CD and Capitol Hill. It’s probably not actually a good idea for a bus line, but it was fun to make and see the costs.
- New Research Suggests Separation Key to Protecting Cyclists From Pollution | Streetsblog USA
- The “Worst Cities for Driving” Include a Lot of America’s Best Cities | Streetsblog USA – Seattle’s in great company!
- Why Women Don’t Cycle | FiveThirtyEight
- Crime Drops on Louisville Streets Converted From One-Way to Two-Way | Streetsblog USA
- What’s Up With That: Building Bigger Roads Actually Makes Traffic Worse | WIRED
- Head Injuries Didn’t Rise in Bike-Share Cities. They Actually Fell – CityLab
- Copenhagenize.com – Bicycle Culture by Design: Innovative Elevated Cycle Track in Copenhagen
- Fighting for TIGER: Thousands of Trail Supporters Speak Out – RTC TrailBlog – Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
- The protected bike lane ridership bump, city by city (infographic) | PeopleForBikes
- Finally! A Kid’s Seat for Bike-Share | Streetsblog USA
- The Accidental Protected Bike Lane | Streetsblog.net – Oops! Toronto accidentally makes cycling safer for a block.
- France experiments with paying people to cycle to work | Reuters
- While the Economy Grows, Americans Continue to Drive Less | Streetsblog USA
- How Much Do You Spend on Bicycling Every Year? | Bicycling
- Traffic Droid cyclist names and shames errant drivers with cameras on his helmet and bike | Mail Online
- Citi Bike needs to pay about $1 million in lost parking revenue to New York because their stations take up spots – WSJ.com
- US cities start pushing protected lanes into new territory: downtown | PeopleForBikes
- School relocates using only bicycles | KXAN.com
This is an open thread.