It’s the Bike News Roundup! Here’s a look at some of the stuff floating around the Internet these days.
First up, why are these rude behaviors OK on our streets, but not in a grocery store?
Pacific Northwest News
- Task force agrees: Make NE Multnomah protected bike lanes permanent – BikePortland.org
- Pedal-Petal: Bicycle commuting with a baby bump
- Last gap on Centennial Trail is open for bicycle traffic » Biking Bis
- Delivered by Bicycle: Choose It – FREEWHEEL Carbon Free Cargo – Seattle bike cargo company now includes store shelf signs so people know what has been delivered by bike.
- Video: Denny IMS Marching Band leads Roxhill Elementary walkers for safety celebration with Feet First – An all-school walk! That’s way cooler than an assembly.
- Guest article: Envisioning a ‘commercial greenway’ along 28th Avenue – BikePortland.org – What do you think of the “commercial greenway” concept?
- Westlake Cycle Track Open House | The Urbanist – In case you missed it Wednesday, here’s a recap.
- How can Portland get to 25 percent biking? New web game lets you try – BikePortland.org
- Census: Seattle is the fastest-growing big city in the U.S. | FYI Guy | Seattle Times – And yet total driving in Seattle is down. That means a lot more people walking, biking and taking transit. The city better start directing more of its transportation dollars toward these non-car modes, because the people are coming whether we invest or not.
- Mountain biking on Tiger Mountain — Mountains to Sound Greenway – New MTB trails.
- Man arrested 16 times for DUI gets lesser sentence than judge wants | www.kirotv.com
- Bus lane backlash on Aurora – seattlepi.com – A good case study in how to report poorly about transportation. See if you can count all the moments where the reporter assumes a car-driver’s perspective at the expense of other modes. Here’s another example of faulty framing in a news story about transportation. Come on, Seattle TV news. Get it together.
- 2nd person dies from SUV crash at Lake Sammamish house | The Today File | Seattle Times – This story is so devastating. This is the stuff of nightmares. A reminder that cars are inherently dangerous things that amplify people’s mistakes (especially big mistakes like DUI). Just an awful, terrible thing to happen to a family.
- Driver hits pedestrian trying to cross highway, then is hit himself | HeraldNet.com – Everyone is a pedestrian sometimes, even those who hit pedestrians with their cars. Traffic violence is not acceptable. If people are getting hit this often and easily, what’s Lynnwood’s excuse for not making the street safer?
- Summer Streets on Alki, report #2: Before the rain, the parade!
- Seattle’s Bike to Work Day – in tandem | KING5.com Seattle
- Pedestrian Chronicles: Foot Traffic Spikes Citywide | Seattle Met
- Bus driver in fatal Kirkland crash could face charges | KING5.com Seattle
- Lawsuit filed against city for streetcar tracks deemed ‘unsafe for bicyclists’ – BikePortland.org
- Editorial: Protect rail, trail options for Eastside rail corridor | Editorials | The Seattle Times
- Road-rage survey: Seattle drivers are polite — but look out | FYI Guy | Seattle Times
- Toward Zero Deaths | Cascade Bicycle Club
- Sound Transit Releases Lynnwood-Everett Analysis | Seattle Transit Blog
- Sunday Video: 25th and Union Parklet | The Urbanist – Adorable video! Parklets can be community-building efforts.
Halftime show! It’s Madi from FamilyRide at Hub & Bespoke!
National & Global News
- Dallas has a new bicycle coordinator who’s very eager to roll out the bike plan (from 2011) | Dallas Morning News
- The Mathematics of Murder: Should a Robot Sacrifice Your Life to Save Two? | Popular Science – On the artificial intelligence ethics of a self-driving car.
- Does the world need a technological marvel bike u-lock? Maybe. | Voices – Includes interesting info on what kind of lock was used when Chicago bikes were stolen
- Headed to Seattle? Pack your pedal pushers – Travel – The Boston Globe – Seattle hotels lending bikes to visitors are awesome.
- Macon vigilante on wheels arrested after bike theft | Local & State | Macon.com – There only one thing worse than someone who steals a bike: Someone who hits a person on a bike with their car on purpose.
- Paris to Set Default Citywide Speed Limit Below 20 MPH | Streetsblog.net – Seattle should study this idea. I would love to see a report that looks at things like: Changes in travel times, increases in safety, likelihood of compliance, etc. Would be a great way to kickstart a conversation about it.
- Stop forcing people to wear bike helmets – Vox
- Actibump – YouTube – A speed bump that only turned into a bump if you are going too fast (for use before crosswalks, stop signs, etc)
- Solar-Powered Bike Lock Aims To Be The Airbnb Of Bike-Sharing | KPLU
- Barbara Boxer’s Transportation Bill: Same As It Ever Was | Streetsblog USA
- How buggies shape babies’ brains | Suzanne Zeedyk – Similar concept apply to family bikes?
- How come there are no pot holes in the Netherlands? | BICYCLE DUTCH
- City of Dallas considers scrapping bicycle helmet law – CultureMap Dallas
- Protesters in Vietnam torch Taiwanese-owned cycle factory | Bicycle Business | BikeBiz
- More Cyclists Can Now Call AAA For Help | KPLU
- Ask Strong Towns, Question #6 – Strong Towns Blog – Strong Towns
- Cyclists Should Be Able to Roll Through Stop Signs | Slog – Says Dan Savage
- De Blasio Looks Toward Sweden for Road Safety – NYTimes.com
This is an open thread.