It’s time for the Bike News Roundup! Here’s a look at some of the transportation news floating around the Internet in recent days.
First up, protected bike lanes are on the rise in the United States:
Pacific Northwest News
- Parking power prevails (for now): PBOT pulls plug on 28th Ave bike lanes | BikePortland.org
- Ramps to Nowhere: A word on behalf of ‘Seattle process’ | Crosscut.com
- City of Portland orders removal of ‘America’s bike capital’ mural from downtown wall | BikePortland.org
- Bicyclist in critical condition following collision with bus » Kitsap Sun
- Driver who caused fatal I-405 crash pleads guilty | The Today File | Seattle Times
- Story from the Sole: Dr. Jason Mendoza and his Walking School Bus Study » Feet First
- BTSD Spotlight: Seattle Tornado of Fun! | League of American Bicyclists
- Car-Free in the North Cascades: Washington’s Mountainside Ciclovia | Washington Bikes
- Pedestrian hit by driver at 35th and Barton | West Seattle Blog
- Walking While Fat and Female – Or, Why I Don’t Care Not All Men are Like That | Courtney Meaker
- Investigators Asking For Help in Locating Hit and Run Driver | SPD Blotter
- Tunnel partner known to fight tough with public agencies | Local News | The Seattle Times
- Employment « Cycle Swift – Apply by Thursday
- WSDOT Head: “We Are Concerned” About Future of Tunnel Project | Seattle Met
- GGLO earns Gold BizCycle Certification | Cascade Bicycle Club
- On the waterfront plan – contradictions abound | Crosscut.com – “In some ways, it’s a highway disguised as a park.” Yup.
- What Astonished Us About Bike To School Day Was Way More Than Numbers » Seattle Neighborhood Greenways
- Vancouver teachers forced to pay for parking starting next school year – BC | Globalnews.ca
Halftime show! Is this the best tall bike photobomb ever?
National & Global News
- Safety advocates warn against raising limits on truck size, weight | Public Health Newswire
- How Being Hit by a Vehicle Changed Times Colleagues’ Lives – NYTimes.com
- Christie Blatchford: Family of teen fatally struck by SUV sued by motorist for her ‘pain and suffering’ | National Post
- Council opts for 3 lanes, bike lanes on Fremont Street – The Register-Mail – Galesburg, IL – My old stomping grounds getting in on complete streets!
- Startup by former Alta executives scores Philadelphia bike share contract | BikePortland.org
- 1 dead, 6 hurt when SUV crashes into Buena Park ice cream parlor line - Los Angeles Times
- New Investor Considered for Citi Bike – WSJ.com
- UPDATE: Bike Funding Cut from TIGER | League of American Bicyclists – We cannot let this pass.
- Dallas has a new bicycle coordinator who’s very eager to roll out the bike plan (from 2011) | Dallas Morning News
- Low-Income Americans Walk and Bike to Work the Most | Streetsblog USA
- Emanuel tells his drivers to slow down – chicagotribune.com – Caught speeding all over the place.
- Remembering Jim Oberstar, Champion of Bicycling in America | PeopleForBikes
- Tulsa’s First Open Streets Event Reimagines Notorious Parking Crater | Streetsblog USA
- Why it makes sense to bike without a helmet — Howie Chong : Howie Chong
- May is #Bikenomics Month @ The Path Less Pedaled – Drawing little bikes on receipts so people know you biked to their business.
- Kentucky Mom Prevails Against Cops Who Criminalized Her Bike Commute | Streetsblog USA
- How Montreal built a bike lane by debunking the autoparkolypse | PeopleForBikes
- Google: Driverless cars are mastering city streets | The Associated Press
- Mwahaha! Thief who stole electric bike calls owner for help recharging it | Grist
- Taking the Wrong Route to Bike Lane Benefits: A Rebuttal to 538 | Streetsblog USA
- Survey: Millennials Willing to Relocate for Better Transportation Options | Streetsblog USA
- Why cyclists should be able to roll through stop signs and ride through red lights – Vox
This is an open thread.