It’s time for the Bike News Roundup! As always, this is an open thread.
First up, here’s a creative UBC video to help introduce students to cycling.
Pacific Northwest News
- 10 key details from Portland’s bike share proposal and contract | BikePortland.org
- A preview of Portland? Vancouver BC’s new downtown bike network (photos) | BikePortland.org
- South Park Connections ← West Seattle Bike Connections
- Photos and notes from the Oregon Handmade Bicycle Show | BikePortland.org
- Kittitas Environmental Education Network » Corridor Management Plan
- Are Seattle Women the Key to a Better Bus System?
- Car crashes into South Seattle house | KING5.com Seattle
- Gateway Green hits crowdfunding goal | BikePortland.org – Crowdfunding bike projects? Interesting…
- Police: Man found under crashed, stolen bicycle | www.kirotv.com
- Bicycle Benefits: You deserve a reward for riding your bike » Biking Bis
- Drawing conclusions from the Death Dashboard « Walking in Seattle
- Woman pleads guilty in Kirkland DUI vehicular homicide case | KING5.com Seattle
- We Should All Be On Supply’s Side | citytank – Argument for how more housing, even if it is market rate, helps make housing more affordable and helps subsidy dollars go further
Latest batch of On Your Left IPA was Fresh Hopped and on tap tonight – hops from backyards in Seattle, biked to us! pic.twitter.com/7PgkZrHdvY
— Peddler Brewing Co. (@PeddlerBrewing) September 27, 2013
- SDOT Blog » A new sign may be coming to a corner near you! – City replacing stop and (unfortunately in many cases) yield signs.
- How Does Mercer Island Commute? | Surrounded By Water: A Mercer Island Blog
- Learning to share the road – City Living Seattle – Seattle, WA
- City Council backs $21 million for better walking and biking, citing boost to economy | BikePortland.org
- Researcher explores the ‘Language of promoting cycling’ | BikePortland.org
- Video of thief on SE Hawthorne shows why cable locks are no good | BikePortland.org
- Wash. lawmakers don’t get speeding tickets | KING5.com Seattle
- Don’t Be A Mobile Scold! – I love this post about yelling at other road users by Davey Oil!
- Portland transportation director Leah Treat’s stolen bicycle ‘Beatrice’ recovered (again) | OregonLive.com
- WSP suspects meth in deadly I-405 crash; victim identified | KOMO News
- Downtown Seattle employs as many people as Bellevue and Redmond combined | The Today File | Seattle Times
- Kemper Freeman Jr. Scores Own Goal in Court Battle Against Light Rail on I-90 Bridge | Slog
- Superintendent wants school bus cameras to catch illegal passers | KING5.com Seattle
- A new treat for cyclists in Columbia River Gorge
Halftime show! Did you need another reason not to drive so much? CO2 is killing our oceans, Seattle Times reports:
National & Global News
- Bike lanes really do help cars go faster | Grist
- Bicycle registration, license plates and single-file riding pushed in Georgia » Biking Bis – Ugh…
- Pittsburgh bicycle maker builds wheels for man without arms – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Bicycle Blue Book – Used Bikes – Could this become the new op resource for bike valuation?
- Article in academic journal offers explanation for Williams project controversy | BikePortland.org
- Calling it a breakthrough, man pedals across bay – SFGate
- Bike Curious: The First Ride Toward a Bicycle Lifestyle – Momentum Mag
- Curb Appeal | Sightline Daily – Why giving neighborhood groups a cut of parking revenue could be a good thing.
- The Beginning of the End for Level of Service? | Streetsblog Capitol Hill – Yes, please!
- Dinner and Bikes Goes on Tour by Elly Blue — Kickstarter
- Bicyclists locked out in government shut down » Biking Bis – Not just at the Ballard Locks
- Two-Thirds of New York City Voters Say They Want Better Bike and Pedestrian Infrastructure – Sarah Goodyear – The Atlantic Cities
- BBC News – Why has India’s Calcutta city banned cycling?
- North Carolina trailhead named to honor “Bicycle Man” » Biking Bis
- Roads Kill: Mapping the Automobile’s Global Body Count | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- The top 10 cities for bicycle commuting; how 70 biggest cities rank » Biking Bis
- In Paris, Thefts and Vandalism Could Force Bike-Share to Shrink – Feargus O’Sullivan – The Atlantic Cities
- “Zebras” get go-ahead for Pennsylvania Ave bike lanes – Greater Greater Washington
- Mobility is key to healthy aging – Says University of Alabama Birmingham study
- The Urbanophile » Louisville Bridges Project Proceeds From Tragedy to Farce
- The Best Bike Lock | The Sweethome – Useful, interesting story about bike locks (short version: Get a u-lock!)
- ScienceShot: Machinery of Life | Science/AAAS | News – An insect that has gears! Mind = blown
- Stop and Move: Mexico City’s Ecobici nears 100,000 subscribers
- How to enforce 3-foot passing law to protect bicyclists » Biking Bis
- Drive SUV on Sidewalk, Hit 5 Children: 0 Summonses; Drive Bicycle on Sidewalk, Hit Nicole Kidman: 3 Summonses | Mobilizing the Region
- The Real Reasons for Bike Salmoning | Everyday Rider
- Utah’s Air Quality Alerts May Have Inadvertently Put More Cars on the Road – The Atlantic Cities
- Tipping point | Hum of the city – Is e-assist popularity finally reaching a tipping point in San Fransisco?
- Sideguards Could Protect Bicyclists, So Why Aren’t They Required? | Systemic Failure
- UPDATE: Firefighter says he waved at police and was handcuffed and threatened | Evansville Courier & Press – Disgusting
- Car Exhaust Is Confusing Honeybees to Death – The Atlantic Cities