It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup! First up, has this ever happened to you while trying to bust a u-ey on a skinny street?:
Pacific Northwest News
- BikePortland.org » Portland bike move breaks record, gets national attention
- Will Pacific Place Parking Garage Saga End in a Sale? | The SunBreak – I smell Pulitzer
- Why We Ride: Thoughts on Motivation | Car Free Days
- I-90 in the mist | Bicitoro: bikes and crafts
- Body found at north end of Interurban Trail in Everett
- Crossing guard hit near Seattle school | seattlepi.com
- Rules of the Road: Is it legal to drive a tractor on county roads for fun? | The Bellingham Herald – No Fun Allowed
- Gizmos may just keep 200 buildings standing in tunnel dig | The Seattle Times – Is it really too late to stop this thing?
- UW plans $19M in improvements to Burke-Gilman on campus | Seattle Times – Stay tuned for more details
- Seattle courier race rolls out Surveillance Drones for “cycle courier race”
Halftime show! A barometer that determines whether it is a biking day or a transit day:
National & Global News
- China’s Toxic Sky – In Focus – The Atlantic – Holy shit.
- Scared by Dangerous Traffic? Take a Xanax | Streetsblog New York City – So fear of dangerous streets is now a medical disorder?
- Bent Basket – A better ride with design by Bent Basket — Kickstarter
- Copenhagenize.com – Bicycle Culture by Design: How to Spend 27 Billion Kroner
- Richard Florida to Obama: Create a Department of Cities | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- In the East Bay, Advocates Partner with Alameda Police to Educate Ticketed Cyclists – Alliance for Biking & Walking
- The Votes Are In: Omaha Abomination Voted Worst Intersection in the U.S. | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Gasoline costs take biggest share of household income in three decades – The Hill’s E2-Wire
- Colorado Supreme Court Strikes Down Black Hawk Bike Ban | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- SFMTA Director Heinicke: Let’s Get Cracking on Car-Free Market Street | Streetsblog San Francisco
- Rep. Rick Brattin (Harrisonville) to introduce bicycle ban bill | Missouri Bicycle and Pedestrian Federation
- Human Transit: a leading bureaucrat on the need to take more risks – With bike share, it’s go big or go home. Lucky for Seattle, Puget Sound Bike Share plans to go big
- Why People Choose Cars, Even When Mass Transit Would Serve Them Better – The Atlantic Cities
- Why We Need More Research Into Cycling and Brain Science – Commute – The Atlantic Cities
This is an open thread.