It’s time for the weekly bike news roundup! As always, this is an open thread.
First up, a Cleveland woman who was caught driving on the sidewalk to get around a stopped school bus has been fined $250, had her license suspended for 30 days and must spend two hours at a nearby intersection wearing a sign that says, “Only an idiot drives on the sidewalk to avoid a school bus.”
Pacific Northwest News:
- Way to Go Seattle: Walk Bike Ride Challenge – Are you signed up for Nov-Dec?
- Sustainable Seattle | 2012 Nominees – Seattle Neighborhood Greenways nominated
- Boyer Ave gets sharrowed as city unveils Bicycle Master Plan update | montlaker
- BikePortland.org » Elly Blue and Portland’s bike book boom
Who is the rich angel who wants to host this year’s @pedalersfair in their empty warehouse? We know you’re out there!
— Swift Industries (@SwiftIndustries) November 8, 2012
- Vancouver won’t pay to visit Dem-happy Oregon | Crosscut.com – Shoots down Columbia River Crossing tax
- Working Toward a Vision – Seattle Transit Blog
- The Latest on the Streetcar | Publicola – Doesn’t look like Council has the votes to save Eastlake streetcar study funding for 2013.
- Bicycling to school shouldn’t require a police escort « Cascade Bike Blog
- Vancouver approves transportation strategy aimed at getting more people out of cars
- We’re hiring! « Cascade Bike Blog – Tech Manager
- Biking Seattle » Bikes can be better for business – Can be? They are!
- Photo by familyride • Who’s smart now, little car? @meehu‘s Madsen holds 5, Smart Car holds 2.
- Bellingham police arrest alleged bike thief with $19,000 in stolen cycles | The Bellingham Herald
- Cascade Bicycle Club announces ride dates, registration for 2013 » Biking Bis
- West Seattle Blog… » South Park Bridge construction delay: Not done until 2014
- Bikeyface » Not-Cyclists – Why business owners underestimate how many of their customers biked there.
- Clever Cycles » Xtracycle reinvents its own with EdgeRunner, and some backstory
- S.F. getting ‘green lanes’ for bikes – SFGate
- Campaign supports “All-Way Walk” intersections in Seattle « Walking in Seattle
- Max Kullaway: Building Bikes Behind the Big-Name Builders | The Bicycle Story
- Personal Advantages and Bicycling: How I Really Started Riding « Bike Style Spokane
- Back from tragedy | The Daily
Halftime show! StreetFilms created a great video showing the packed transit and bike lanes in New York City as people get around in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy:
National & Global News:
- Bradley Wiggins in hospital after van hits him | Bicycle Business | BikeBiz
- BikePortland.org » Meet Mark Gorton, the most influential livable streets activist you haven’t heard of (yet)
- Mixed Bag for Closely-Watched Local Transit Races | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Big Oil bet big…and lost. | The Price of Oil
- Why Do Sidewalks Predict Whom We’ll Vote For? | Streetsblog.net
- Cyclist injured by truck in Jeffco – The Denver Post
- A bike shop unlike others – Daily Pilot
- NYC’s bike-lane dangers in crises-Editorial – NYPOST.com
- Phoenix Trying to Get a Handle on Pedestrian Deaths | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- A “bike sneak” helps bicyclists cross streetcar tracks – Greater Greater Washington
- Internet rolls into Bangladesh villages on a bike | The Seattle Times – This is awesome.
- What an RAF pilot can teach us about being safe on the road | London Cyclist BlogLondon Cyclist Blog – Explains so much. Why we need to design safer streets: Human eyes and brains simply cannot handle all the information needed for many traffic maneuvers.