It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup! As always, this is an open thread (discuss anything bikey in the comments below).
First up, the Dutch recently opened a floating bike halo roundabout thingy in Eindhoven dubbed the “Hovenring.” Oh. My. God.
Pacific Northwest News:
- Cops: Driver called for tow truck but not for help for motorcyclists she hit – seattlepi.com – So sad.
- Path Less Pedaled photo of Sunday Parkways in SE Portland
- SunBreak | The B.C. in Victoria, B.C., stands for Bike Canada | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle
- Must We Spend Diesel Taxes on Roads? | Sightline Daily
- BikePortland.org » Business owner to push for bike licensing after Wheeler closure – Bicycle proficiency should be a part of the existing driver’s license test.
- Portland will lower speeds to 20 mph on 70 miles of residential ‘greenway’ streets | OregonLive.com
- Mayoral candidate Smith apologizes for driving infractions | kgw.com Portland – Compare this to Toronto’s Rob Ford, who essentially calls reporters dumb for questioning why he was reading while driving on an expressway
- Man picks fight with cop, gets hit by suspected DUI driver – seattlepi.com
- Photo of map-making at the Lake City Greenways kickoff
- A brief introduction to Taking the Lane #8: Childhood | Taking the Lane – Contribute to Elly Blue’s next publication!
Halftime show! If you think Mayor McGinn is and “idiot” because he likes bike lanes and safe roads for all people, then maybe you should try to convince Toronto Mayor Rob Ford to run against him in 2013:
National & Global News:
- Pedestrian signals: Faster than never « MyWHaT – Seriously, why are we not putting Leading Pedestrian Intervals at EVERY high-pedestrian intersection? It’s sooooo easy to do.
- Bikeleague.org Blog » Beyond Spandex, Toward Social Justice: Women Redefining the Movement – Cycling rates in the US are rising fastest among African Americans, Hispanics and Asian Americans.
- BBC News – Arctic sea ice reaches record low, Nasa says
- Urban Vegetation Can Reduce Air Pollution up to 8x More than Previously Believed : TreeHugger – Great support for more greenery along neighborhood greenways!
- Stuck in traffic, cancer surgeon commandeers little girl’s bike to get to the hospital | Grist
- Why Are Champaign-Urbana’s Jaywalking Arrests Almost All Black? – The Atlantic Cities
- B1 Veloway, Melbourne – YouTube – A bikeway along an elevated viaduct freeway?
- Fuck Yeah Weird Bikes
- IFTTT / Stolen Bike Finder by npturner – Get a text message or email every time a bike like your stolen ride shows up on Craigslist
- Keep it Movin’: Triumphs & Tribulations of the Lady Cyclist – Great Lakes Courier – Forget the “Mary Poppins Effect,” a Cleveland self-described “lady cyclist” theorizes she gets harassed MORE because she’s a woman.
- Lovely Bicycle!: Cycling without Fear
- Carmaggedon is coming! – Salon.com – See also: National & Global News point #3
- There’s a Riddle Hidden Within This Bike Rack – The Atlantic Cities – David Byrne has created a (nearly) whole bike rack alphabet.
- Boston region to celebrate Hubway bicycle share expansion Wednesday – The Boston Globe
- Ambien Zombie Drivers « Systemic Failure – Ambien is scary as hell.
- Cars aren’t cool any more – Duh.
- Small Streets Blog, Turn This Parking Lot Into a Village Great visualizations for why dense, car-free or car-light neighborhoods make more sense than parking lots (especially near regional transit hubs)