The weekly Bike News Roundup is here! As always, this is an open thread (discuss whatever is on your mind in the comments below).
First up, a pedal-powered machine that actually flies (a couple feet off the ground for almost a minute). Obviously, this is how we’re going to save the airline industry. Boeing, get on it!
Pacific Northwest News:
- BikePortland.org » Metro report: Road carnage costs region more than congestion
- McGinn’s South Lake Union rezone plan has towers up to 400 feet | The Seattle Times
- “Amazing what a few extra feet of bike lane width feels like”
- New Aurora BAT Lane Starting Today – Seattle Transit Blog – I asked the STB readers for their opinions on people biking in the new Aurora bus lanes. Interesting conversation ensued.
- July Greendrinks sponsored by Skanska and featuring the Cascade Bicycle Club | Seattle Greendrinks
- Getting transit oriented development right in Rainier Valley | Crosscut.com
- Books on the Bus — Transportation Choices Coalition
- Traffic Forecasting: A Blast from the Past | Sightline Daily – How not to predict traffic growth
- West Seattle Blog… » Much-used wagon stolen from ‘single mom with toddler, no car’ – I love the community response to this story.
- Seattle Waterfront and Red Light “Scofflaws” | Seattle Likes Bikes!
- Nick Licata » Neighbors Win Pedestrian Improvements
- Photo Request: Bikes and Kids | Sightline Daily – Send ‘em in!
- West Seattle Blog… » Major new Delridge rechannelization plan emerges at district-council meeting – this time, the south half
- Beginner Pedal Parenting: How Hauling an Infant Returns One to Cycling Infancy | Riding on Roadways
- Travel Blog: Feedtheneed’s Great Adventure – Seattle-area woman blogging her cross-country bike tour
Halftime show! BikeBot was in Portland for a move by bike. I want to see this happen in Seattle more often (I’ll help!).
- The poster for San Francisco’s 20th Anniversary of Critical Mass is stunning (see right).
- Paris Bike Hire Scheme is Five Years Old – SPIEGEL ONLINE – Also, it has changed the city dramatically
- Kansas City Residents Build their Bike Share Scheme | This Big City – I would love to help King County save some cash by doing this. Seriously, let’s pass a bike share package.
- Building Safety Awareness joins the new trend of Tumblr blogs featuring cars smashing into buildings (this time, the buildings wear helmets)
- Georgia and the United Nations: Why walking leads to one-world government | The Economist – Did you know biking and walking trails are a plot by the UN to take away your freedom? Next time you’re on the Burke-Gilman, pay homage to all the liberties you had to give up in order to get that trail… (how the hell were these people elected?)
- League of American Bicyclists * National Women’s Bike Summit – Sept 13 in Long Beach
- ‘Generation N’ is Steering Clear of Auto Showrooms – CNBC
- Transportation For America » Top 10 Reasons Sen. Boxer Must Keep Her Word on Bike/Ped Programs
- Cycling helmet laws not so clear-cut on many issues – The Globe and Mail
- Surveillance Video Shows Hit-And-Run Of Cyclist – NewsChannel5.com – Warning, extremely fucked up video.
- Santa Monica Traffic, Is It Really So Bad? (Part 1) | Streetsblog Los Angeles
- Guest Post: Why don’t women ride the Tour de France? | Taking the Lane
- Gazette.Net: Popular College Park bike shop owner sells business to stay with partner – Complete bullshit (as you have noticed, this is the point in the news roundup where I resort to cursing wildly at the madness of the world).
- Getting the Story Straight | Road Rights | Bicycling.com – Re: SF bike-caused fatality. A good perspective on a tough, sad story.
- Technology – Megan Garber – The Blind Spot: A Requiem – The Atlantic – YES. Let’s put an end to blind spots in cars. Federal government, get on it.
- Put onus on drivers, says cycling world champion Mark Cavendish | The Times
- Magazine – World’s Worst Traffic Jam – The Atlantic – Next time I-5 backs up a bit, remember that it could be worse.