It’s time for the weekly Bike News Roundup. As always, this is an open thread. Feel free to post any bikey links or thoughts you have in the comments.
First up, a Vancouver man recorded a bike ride on a Super 8 camera in the 1970s. He recently retraced the ride and posted a video with then/now photos included. Does anyone have old Seattle bike ride footage?
Pacific Northwest News:
- BikePortland.org » Portland company to offer comprehensive bicycle insurance – I’m amazed it took this long.
- Our Wedding On Wheels | Riding on Roadways
- The Northgate 900 – King County TOD and Access,P&R Policy – Seattle Transit Blog
- SDOT Blog » Creating Safe Routes to School for All
- Rethinking Public Participation – Seattle Transit Blog – Have we given a few outspoken citizens too much power?
- How does BoltBus compare with Amtrak for travel between Seattle and Portland with a bicycle? – TUBULOCITY
- Road rage incident on Sunday sends one man to the hospital | Phinneywood – Driver gets out of his car at a stop light in Greenwood to punch the driver in front of him, gets pushed into a truck.
- Walking School Buses – KCPQ – Yay Dearborn Park Elementary!
- BikePortland.org » Nutcase, Bern helmets receive “poor” impact rating from Consumer Reports
- I-90 pedestrian & bicycle tunnel more than a shortcut – Seattle Cycling | Examiner.com
- Mercer UpGarden turns parking spots into garden beds | Crosscut.com – So awesome.
- George Romero Flat Challenge – « Portland Zombie Apocalypse Ride
- TriMet: Bike & Ride – Secure, Enclosed Bike Parking with Keycard Access – Next generation secure bike parking.
- New study: Fewer cars on the road won’t hurt the economy | Taking the Lane
- Seattle company shares off-season secrets « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog – Synapse Product Development painted a 10′ x 18′ bike map on a wall at their HQ.
- Velo-city Global 2012 – Vancouver, Canada – June 26-29 – Preliminary Program – Register now for the pre-conference rates
Halftime show! Here’s an animated guide to how London’s bike share works (we can do this here!)
National & Global News:
- Detroit’s Real Bike Chix – Detroit, je t’aime – Profiles of some of the rad women behind Detroit’s bike renaissance.
- No Building is Safe – I wish this Tumblr would keep going. Sadly, there’s a lot of material out there to keep it filled.
- Centre eyes Bihar CM Nitish’s free bicycle scheme – IBNLive – Bicycle giveaway helps Indian girls get to school.
- Beyond the Basket: New Bike Accessories for Summer – Vogue – Vogue on bikes and bike accessories
- Via Bike: Lane positioning « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog – Don’t weave in and out of the parking lane (explained with illustrations)
- Ithaca mayor turns his personal parking space into a mini-park | Grist
- Envisioning the Wiggle as a People-Centered Greenway | Streetsblog San Francisco – The Wiggle Neighborhood Greenway!
- Bike lanes shouldn’t be seen as trendy, they should be seen as necessary | Calgary Herald
- Car-free by choice; young urbanites ditching wheels in record numbers | OpenFile
- The Simple, Inexpensive Breakthrough That Is Transforming American Cities | | AlterNet
- Hubway bike sharing program set to expand to Cambridge, Somerville, and Brookline – The Boston Globe – A quarter million trips around the supposed worst drivers in the country and no serious injuries! Bike share is very safe.
- RAM America: Day two- Boston – Speaking of Boston, some good friends of mine just flew there to go on an east coast bike tour (their first ever!). And what do they notice first? “So in love with hubway, Boston’s bicycle sharing service. Get on it Seattle.”
- Creek Nation cyclists head 1,080 miles to Oklahoma | Columbus Ledger Enquirer – Biking the Trail of Tears
- Pedal power – The Big Picture – Boston.com – Powerful photos (one is of Seattle’s sperm bike)
- Bike lanes 2.0: now or soon in a city near you | Kaid Benfield’s Blog – More on labeling cycle tracks as “next generation” cycle facilities. I think it’s a good message (do you?)
- How to: bicycling in a long dress « Let’s Go Ride a Bike – life on two wheels: simple. stylish. fun.
- From Amsterdam, Beer Bikes’ Popularity Spreads – NYTimes.com – OMG I want!
- Ciclovia briefly Amsterdam-ifies North Baltimore | Baltimore Brew
- Green Lane Project to increase safety and put motorists, bicyclists at ease – Welcome to the FastLane: The Official Blog of the U.S. Secretary of Transportation – It’s great to have this kind of support for cycle tracks coming from the top transportation official in the nation.
- Guest post: The cycling industry’s elephant in the room | Bicycle Times Magazine – It ain’t growing.