It’s the Tuesday Bike News Roundup! This week’s edition is heavily weighted in the Pacific Northwest. Probably because there’s just so much awesome (and some not so awesome) bike stuff happening!
But first, here’s a video of the best bike lock ever:
Pacific Northwest News:
- Why We Fall in Love with Cycling | Sightline Daily
- Seattle Times Turns Park Discussion into “Battle Over Parking” | PubliCola – Obviously this park is just about hating cars. It couldn’t possibly be for any other reason, like creating a safer and more enjoyable neighborhood space…
- Ride slowly with me « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog
- Seattle Neighborhood Greenways has a new website!
- Pedal America begins airing this weekend — except in Seattle » Biking Bis
- Bellevue Driver Confirms Every Stereotype About Bellevue Drivers | PubliCola
- Tenth Annual Bike for Pie August 19 – Registration for the Bainbridge Island ride is now open.
- Low-cost bus line to Portland on track to compete against Amtrak | Local News | The Seattle Times – More details on BoltBus (see our previous story).
- SDOT Blog » NE Section of the Cheshiahud Loop Trail Gets a Much Needed Makeover and a Pocket Park Takes Shape
- Poll: Fewer Than One In Three Approve of McGinn | PubliCola
- Show us why you ride and win a Raleigh Clubman « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog – Video contest!
- Seattle Center’s Bike Parking Squid has surfaced:
— familyride (@familyride) May 8, 2012
- Seattle Department of Transportation: City’s Old Street Signs Now Available to the Public – They’ve got Pines, but sorry, all out of Pikes.
- Kent’s Bike Blog: Grant Petersen in Seattle on May 11th – At Free Range Cycles in Fremont
- Clowns to the Left, Jokers to the Right: Media Portrayals of the Car-Free | Streetsblog.net
- BikePortland.org » Family bike camping; the new American tradition – Guest post by Russ from the Path Less Pedaled
Speaking of the Path Less Pedaled, here’s an awesome quick pitch for why the US Bicycle Route System deserves your support:
National & Global News:
- I don’t know about Tiananmen, but this kid sure gives Bike Swarm a run for their money:
Russia’s Tianamen image. twitter.com/ioffeinmoscow/…
— Julia Ioffe (@ioffeinmoscow) May 6, 2012
- FHWA: Small Investments in Bike/Ped Infrastructure Can Pay Off in a Big Way | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- KTVU Reporter Documents Own Harassment of Cyclists | Streetsblog San Francisco
- What’s Lost When Kids Don’t Ride Bikes To School : NPR
- Death-Crash Driver Watching TV: South Korea Police | Bicycling.com
- Fed-up cyclist develops world’s loudest bike horn to alert motorists – Yahoo! News UK
- Milan’s BikeMi Bikeshare Uses Shaft-Drive Bikes : TreeHugger
- Citi Bikes It Is: Citi to Sponsor New York Bike-Share | Streetsblog New York City – How about some Seattle BECU Bikes? Boeing Bikes? Starbikes?
- Houston saddles up for downtown bike share program – Houston Chronicle – I mean, comes on! Even Houston has bike share before Seattle. Let’s get in the game!
This is an open thread. Who should sponsor King County’s bike share?