There was no Bike News Roundup last week due to illness, so this week’s edition is pretty big. So don’t expect to do a whole lot of work today. There’s just too much bike stuff to read.
First up, a video out of Mexico explains how too much driving hurts our cities:
Pacific Northwest News:
- Bicycle Alliance of Washington: Off the Freeway – It can be hard to stop thinking about your city from a windshield point of view.
- BikePortland.org » Guest Article: Bike boulevard bliss shattered and a call to action – One Portlander wants more safety than neighborhood greenways can offer
- Seattle Subway by Dominic Holden – The Stranger
- Police: Hit-and-run ends with parties at same birthday party | seattlepi.com
— Seattle Parks (@SeattleParks) April 12, 2012
- Biking for Baseball is a big hit for youth mentors » Biking Bis
- Interview with Broch Bender, Washington State Department of Transportation Communications « Seattle Likes Bikes!
- Council to Adopt Ambitious Transit Master Plan | PubliCola
- Bicycle Alliance of Washington: Remembering Susie Stephens – Was big force behind the modern national bike advocacy movement
- From 1962, a Message to the City Council of the Future | PubliCola
- STP bibs up for auction on eBay
- Volunteer – Washington High School Cycling League – Help them out!
- BikePortland.org » At Summit, PBOT Director announces new 10% bike mode split goal – Citing budget concerns, Portland invests in bikes
- Chris Selley: A bike helmet law bites back | National Post – Vancouver, BC
- Bike Month video extravaganza! « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog – Submit short videos highlighting dangerous points in your commute
- Man in wheelchair in critical condition after hit by car | www.kirotv.com
Halftime show! This hilly Colombian city has some ideas we could learn from:
National and Global News:
- Bike-Share Is Going to Be Huge at NYC Transit Hubs | Streetsblog New York City – Hooking bike share with Seattle’s transit system is a recipe for success.
- Why You Should Explore Cities by Bike – Momentum Mag
- Car-saturated Mexico City lets bicycle riders rule the roads on Sunday mornings – The Washington Post
- New urban problems: No parking | The Economist – Parking is a seemingly unsolvable issue in Beijing.
- Bike-share program coming to Los Angeles – latimes.com
- Urban Adonia: CicLAvia is Public Property
- On tour: The rental car has its revenge | Taking the Lane
Holy crap, the rental car caught fire! Everyone and everything’s ok … except for a stack of anti-car t-shirts.
— Elly Blue (@ellyblue) April 17, 2012
- Download 2012 Bike Month Posters: One Ride, Many Reasons
- Raquel Nelson Back in Court, With High Profile Lawyer at Her Defense | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
- Biker uses GPS to turn city into an Etch-a-Sketch | Grist – Someone do this in Seattle!
- Bicycle-only season in Yellowstone National Park offers unique ride : Outdoors – I must do this next year.
- The WSJ’s Nightmare: A “Car-Free Utopia” | PubliCola – Great take down of a stupid WSJ editorial.
- Cities With the Most Highway Miles: a “Who’s Who” of Decay | Streetsblog.net – I’ve lived in the both of the top two (and believe it or not, traffic is still terrible in both of them).
- $40 Million Pledged for Brooklyn Bridge Park – NYTimes.com – Donor wants to build a velodrome.
- Capital Bikeshare Nearly Operationally Profitable | Streetsblog Capitol Hill – Wow. This is unheard of in the transportation world.
- Bicycle injuries: Is the right-of-way fight getting ugly? – CNN.com
- “Tu Familia” Bike Safety PSA Makes Its Debut « LA County Bicycle Coalition www.la-bike.org