There are a lot of bike jobs flying around lately, which is awesome! Seattle bicycle economy keeps growing.
I’ve been throwing around the idea of adding a paid job listings feature to the site (like the one on Bike Portland). Does Seattle have enough bike jobs to support a bike-focused job listing service? I think we might… (let me know what you think in the comments)
Here are some of the jobs floating around these days. Click the headline to get the complete descriptions:
This is Customer Service/Mechanic position in our community bike shop will report to the Shop Director. This position will focus primarily on providing attentive, quality customer service in a small, fast-paced bike shop. In addition, this staff person will be asked to perform bike repairs as needed, especially walk-in repairs during busy summer days in the shop. The Bike Works community bike shop is a safe space for anyone, and aims to break down barriers so that anyone will feel comfortable and welcome in the bike shop, regardless of riding skill, mechanical knowledge, gender, race, sexuality, class, etc.
• Deliver professional, accessible, and helpful customer service to a diverse customer base
• Perform bicycle repair, maintenance, and walk-in services on customer bicycles as needed
• Support daily bike shop operations
• Represent Bike Works in the neighborhood and act as a resource for the community
• Work in partnership with all Bike Works staff and community stakeholders to contribute to the organization’s vision, participate in organization-wide programs, and help create a sustainable organizational culture
• Excellent customer service skills (minimum three years of experience in busy retail setting)
• Solid foundation of bike knowledge with strong bike mechanical skills required
• Ability to work with youth and adults of diverse backgrounds
• Self-directed, energetic, flexible and personable
• Must be able to work independently and as part of a team
• Ability to work competently with computers, including Point of Sale software, word processor and spreadsheet applications.
• Strong interpersonal skills and a friendly outgoing attitude with a desire to work with the public
• Ability to mentor youth ages 16 to 18 in engaging and empowering apprenticeship relationship
• Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
Detours is a small bicycle bag company with a big goals. Our goal is to make bicycling a more inclusive and less intimidating experience for people. We make commuter and light touring bags that have both personality and performance. We are looking for someone to represent the Detours brand as a dynamic sales and service professional. We are growing! We want someone who likes to ride a bicycle and is excited about commuting, creating community and connecting with people. You will work in conjunction with the sales, design and operations team to help communicate a clear brand message to new and existing customers. The core of the position focuses on creating great customer service experiences for direct consumer and retail partners via phone, email, web and in-person. This is a PART-TIME position that will grow into full time with the right candidate. The right candidate will be self motivated and driven to exceed expectations and enthusiastically take on new responsibilities and goals. You will bring energy and ideas to the team, as well as sharp organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple channels of information and tasks.
• Legendary Customer Experience
o Create positive and engaging experiences for customers via phone, web and in-person. Handle most in-coming orders, requests, and customer interactions.
o Educate potential customers on bag uses, functions, and location on bikes.
o Learn how to upload and download all product info, pricing, specs, images and inventory via our web based admin tool — Word Press
o Manage web based promotions (EBlast/ProBlast)
o Execute a plan to increase the exposure and sales of our club and pro-deal programs
o Promote social networking (Facebook/Spoke(n) blog/ Twitter/etc and drive traffic to our site)
o Create fun and engaging programs, events and other avenues (includes web and physical) that support and contribute to brand awareness, brand message and ultimately sales.
o Research and competitive analysis of new distribution channels
o Customer and dealer service tasks as needed
o Stay current on all relevant bicycle and other market events/opportunities/clubs/etc. What are areas of opportunity for Detours?
o Attend events, rides, expos that involve Detours and help run/set up and be a ‘face’ for the brand.
o Regularly follow up with existing dealers by phone and email as a customer service reach out.
The Staff Writer tells Cascade’s stories in a clear, compelling way in order to generate affiliation, participation and support for the organization’s mission, programs and activities. The Staff Writer’s work will help expand Cascade’s presence, deepen connections with members, participants, constituents, supporters and the general public and will enhance the organization’s brand.
We are seeking a go-getter who thrives in a fast-paced environment, surrounded by colleagues who are passionate about Cascade’s mission. Candidates should have an ear for stories and be motivated to use their writing talents to advance the mission and strategic goals. Candidates should find achievement in tracking down and writing great stories, be confident interviewing and asking questions, and be comfortable working independently once given direction and deadline.
In addition, the Staff Writer should enjoy writing in a diversity of styles, including marketing and ad copy, educational materials and member and constituent communications. The Staff Writer will work collaboratively across all departments to ensure clear, consistent communication. The Staff Writer will work with team leads to assess needs for written materials, prioritize based on strategic goals, and use writing skills efficiently with the goal of increasing presence and driving engagement.