It’s time for the (very late) Bike News Roundup. Lots o’ good stuff, so let’s get to it.
First up, anger over the upcoming Lorax film — which appears to have somehow missed the obvious environmentalist message of the story, at least in its marketing — has launched into full-blown protest after the Mazda commercial below hit the web. That’s right, it’s THE LORAX selling a car. A freaking car. This is a guy who doesn’t even like using Truffula Trees to make bicycle seats! You don’t even need to be an environmentalist to be outraged by this. You just need to be able to read above a first grade level. Clearly they missed this passage in particular:
“I am the Lorax,” he coughed and he whiffed.
He sneezed and he snuffled. He snarggled. He sniffed.
“Once-ler!” he cried with a cruffulous croak.
“Once-ler! You’re making such smogulous smoke!
My poor Swomee-Swans… why, they can’t sing a note!
No one can sing who has smog in his throat.”
Pacific Northwest News:
- Bicycling opens a window on Seattle’s genius as an urban center | Crosscut.com
- Is Fremont Center Of Seattle’s Bike Universe? » Fremont Universe
- BikePortland.org » PBOT counts show bike trips up 6.4 percent in 2011 – Note: Bike Portland is experiencing technical difficulties today. Get well soon, PDX bike blog servers!
- Neighborhood Greenways aim to pave the way to safety – City Living Seattle – Seattle, WA
- BikePortland.org » The faces and the glory of the Ben Hurt Chariot Wars
- ‘Ben Hurt’: Bike warriors smash and thrash at beer-fueled event in bike-crazy Portland – The Washington Post
- King 5 poll finds McGinn’s numbers still lagging (curious how this compares to six months ago, though)
- Bicycle Alliance of Washington: Love Your Ride: A Celebration of Winter Bicycling
- BikePortland.org » Two years later, police sting and Craigslist help get stolen bike back
- Chinatown ID restaurateurs say longer parking hours cut business | Seattle Times Newspaper – However, city studies show that the rules are working exactly as designed – leaving one or two spaces open on every block to discourage needless circling for a spot. But, you know, parking policy is far too emotional an issue to leave only to data and practical governing…
- Beacon Hill Blog » Biking on Beacon: All about trees
- A Gondola with a Cherry on Top | citytank – A gondola from the waterfront to the Hill?
- The Best Daily Deals in Puget Sound – Cascade Bicycle Club – Two Tickets to Seattle Bike Expo – Deal ends later today
- Seattle Magazine | Does Seattle Need to Go to Transportation Fat Camp?
- Routing a Greener Path » My Ballard – Student journalism project about neighborhood greenways
- 3,000 gallons of diesel spill in Interbay train yard | Seattle Times Newspaper
- Spokane police officer fired for DUI may regain job, back pay – WTF? Dude was driving drunk, hit a pickup truck, then fled the scene. But his lawyers argued he was an alcoholic because of job stress, so now he gets his job back AND years of back pay? I understand that alcoholism is a disease, but hit-and-run is not. Hit-and-run is a felony. Something tells me that if I hit someone while driving drunk, nobody would give me $275,000.
- Washington hopes to learn from Boston’s ‘Big Dig’ | KING5.com Seattle
- Twitter / @familyride: New pedestrian island on Stone Way
- BikePortland.org » Left-side cycle track and more: PBOT unveils options for N Williams Ave
- The Pedal Powered Talk Show – Oh, Portland…
National and Global News:
- Cyclists in the City: As The Guardian comes out in support of The Times, the issue of cycling has now trascended party-politics: My summary of the Westminster Hall debate on cycling. We’re all in it together and now the real work begins.
- How An Unlicensed Driver Got Away With Killing A Brooklyn Woman: Gothamist
- The McMansion trend has peaked | Grist – Have we reached Peak McMansion?
- As St. Louis Lost 29,000 Residents from 2000-2010, 6/7 Neighborhoods With Light Rail Saw Gains | nextSTL
- Magnic Light: Get New Energy! by Dirk Strothmann — Kickstarter
- Presidents And Bicycles | Bike Lane Living
- BBC News – Mexico City’s bike revolution
- 15,000 die each year crossing rail tracks in India – seattlepi.com – Unbelievable.
- Moscow Artist Sparks Local DIY Bike Map Movement : TreeHugger
- Cyclist Challenges Celebrities to Bike to Oscars | lovingthebike.com – Awesome idea! I really hope someone takes the challenge.
- Streets Are Not For Children | Bike Delaware
- wearable planters (for your bike!) | Design*Sponge
- MSF – Optical illusion demonstrates highway blindness.
- Building a Death Star Would Cost $852 Quadrillion. Worth it. | Death Star PR – At only $852 quadrillion, we can hardly afford NOT to build a Death Star!
- Biking Bis – Police solve biggest crime wave ever in Chico (CA) — stolen bicycles
- Two Per Cent of US Road Deaths Are Cyclists : TreeHugger
- The surprise in the transportation budget | Better! Cities & Towns Online – Could we end up with a national complete streets policy?
- Christina Patterson on ghost bikes | Chester Cycling – Writer doesn’t seem to understand ghost bikes…
- Ticked Off Bird – An Angry Birds helmet cover…
- State to Look at Turning Tappan Zee Into Walkway | NYTimes
This is an open thread.