Um, your boss just called me and said you should stop whatever you’re working on to read all the great stuff in this week’s Bike News Roundup. Then you should leave early and take a spin on the newly-reconstructed Burke-Gilman Trail, which opened at noon. Your boss is the greatest!
First up, no matter how much you like bikes, you probably don’t like them quite as much as this guy:
Pacific Northwest News:
- Ride of the week: Light up the Night! « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog
- DIY bikey Valentine | Hub and Bespoke Blog
- Hub and “Be mine” spoke cards | Hub and Bespoke Blog
- Legalize Couchsurfing | Sightline Daily
- West Seattle Blog » Update: Bicycle rider collides with car door, taken to hospital
- “What kid doesn’t like a good adventure?” « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog
- BikePortland.org » BikeCraft: Coming soon to an online storefront
- Bike-Sexuality — a call for submissions | Taking the Lane
- Filmed by Bike » Programs – Several Seattle submissions!
- Plan for oil-barrel ‘tax’ dies; Olympia mulls other road fees | Seattle Times Newspaper
- Should it take decades to build a subway? – Salon.com – No! Only like one decade…
- Two internships at Cascade « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog – Unpaid
- Road rage incident ends in sledgehammer attack | Seattle Times Newspaper
- Proposal to link Market, aquarium may be too ambitious for Seattle | Seattle Times Newspaper – A walking and biking bridge is too ambitious? But a giant $2 billion car tunnel isn’t…
- Mayor McGinn: Is Seattle starting to see him differently? | Crosscut.com
- License suspensions for minor traffic tickets could be slowed | Crosscut.com – I like that this bill separates license suspensions from serious traffic violations from suspensions for things like poor people not paying parking tickets. Obviously, those are two very different offenses and should be treated differently.
- Ballard Bridge painting update » My Ballard
- Go Means Go! » DIY Wednesday. Nice rack.
- HistoryLink.org- Seattle’s anti-highway movement was awesome
National and Global News:
- Lunchtime Quickie: Internet Trolls, This Is What They Look Like! | Slog
- Lebron James says no big deal commuting by bicycle | kgw.com Portland – He’s amused that people were so shocked to see him biking to work. He does it all the time!
- Bike 2015 Plan Tracker – Chicago website tracks progress on their bike plan (I like!)
- Bikeyface » So Ladies… – On bikes, fashion and the cycle chic “stereotype”
- Developers Eye Garages and Parking Lots – NYTimes.com – You know who’s got it bad? People buying luxury condos in Manhattan. There’s just nowhere to park! ;-(
- Miss Manners on sidewalk bike bell etiquette
- Landmark diesel exhaust study stalled amid industry and congressional objections – Study linking diesel exhaust to cancer could have serious public health ramifications, so Congress did the responsible thing for their constituents… they blocked its release!
- Jobs and the Transportation Bill | Taking the Lane – Bikes and bike infrastructure are serious job creators.
- Biking Bis – Alberto Contador banned in doping case; loses 2010 TdF and Giro titles – In case you missed it. Big news in the road racing world.
- Bikeleague.org Blog » Road Diets now proven safety measure; Q&A with FHWA Associate Administrator Furst – Now, City Council, let’s give SDOT the authority to install them without costly red tape!
- A Bay Area Experiment in Electric Bike Sharing – NYTimes.com – Linked with car sharing. How about it, Zipcar?
- Activists Fight Green Projects, Seeing U.N. Plot – NYTimes.com – Depressing that people this crazy actually slow and even stop legitimate projects. Though it would be cool if the UN sent me a paycheck for writing this blog… hmm…
- Super Bowl Smackdown: Host Indianapolis Makes Dallas-Fort Worth Look Like a Bunch of Chumps – Walkability!
- Road Wars: The Bike vs. Car Question Continues | Does 3 Feet to Pass pass muster? | Boise Weekly – The law is in place, but almost tickets have been given (one reason why a three-foot law is not very high on my list of needed legislation)
- Paris cyclists given right to break traffic laws – Telegraph – Kind of a half-Idaho stop law.
- Bike theft on the rise at BART stations | UTSanDiego.com
- City may raze site tied to Wrights – Wright Bros (the actual ones, not the Fremont shop) original bike shop could be demolished. That’s right, aviation owes a lot to the bicycle.
- Sisterhood of the traveling bikes | Zev Yaroslavsky – San Diego group sets goal of doubling the number of women biking in five years (I think we should aim for 3 years!)
- BikePortland.org » ‘This is not a drill’: National advocates mount effort to kill HR7 – Seriously.
And, finally, here’s a promo for a new Vancouver show: To Catch a Bike Thief
This is an open thread.