How far has Seattle’s cycling efforts come since 1982? Ask Sprocket Man

Today, the city is investing in 11 miles of neighborhood greenways per year, working to update the city-wide Bicycle Master Plan, painting miles of bike lanes and arguing extensively in court to complete a biking and walking trail in Ballard. Seattle has the second-highest rate of bicycle commuting among large American cities, and is undeniably one of the best bicycling cities in the nation.

In 1982, Seattle had Sprocket Man:

Not to rag on Sprocket Man, or anything. But we’ve come a long way.

(h/t Go Means Go!)

This entry was posted in news and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to How far has Seattle’s cycling efforts come since 1982? Ask Sprocket Man

1. Fat Guy On A Bike says:

I dunno…..his helmet does resemble the skate style helmets that are currently in fashion with a lot of cummuters. Plus steel framed bikes are all the rage again. However his motto of “let the flow be with you” is a bit disconcerting….

2. Adonia says:

I want to marry Sprocket Man.

3. Steve A says:

In many ways, Seattle HAS come a long way since 1982. The Burke-Gilman Trail was less then five years old.

4. Fat Guy On A Bike says:

I meant “commuters.” Don’t want to make people think this is an “adult only” site….lol.

5. Kenneth Weigel says:

I have biked all my life, and I am now 72 years old and still biking. I love biking. HOWEVER, I do not buy this drivel about how many people bike to work and how much money they save and how often they do it. I can drive all over Seattle most of the winter and the number of people on bikes going anywhere is VERY FEW, especially when it is raining, which is most of the time.

I do support building bike paths and lanes, but I strongly object to spending huge amounts of money to build SPECIAL BRIDGES and UNDERPASSES just for bikes. GET OFF THE BIKE AND WALK across the street like pedestrians do.

And as a biker far older than most people who read this, I submit that bikers need to change their attitude. Not all, but many bikers project their attitude by how far out in the main traffic lanes they ride. It is no wonder some of them get hit and killed. I have ridden in Seattle (yes, DOWNTOWN) for 13 years, and I have NEVER even been HONKED at because I ride as far to the right as I can and I often ride slowly on the sidewalk. YES, it is legal in Seattle.

• Gary says:

Ever try to walk across a “free right on red?” On a busy street like Aurora it totally takes on a new meaning for those of us trying to live to be 72 and still bike. Overpasses, and underpasses have their use. Getting around the Ballard bridge is one of them.

And recognize that government is going to spend a zillion dollars building that intersection. They might as well spend a zillion + 1, and give bicyclists and pedestrians a safeway around it.

As for not seeing commuters, come on down at 6 to 7am and watch the steady stream riding up Dexter and down Pine.