It’s the Thursday Bike News Roundup! All the (other people’s) news that’s fit to list! As always, this is an open thread.
To get things started, here’s a beautiful video from Dan McComb (director of Beyond Naked) of the Seattle Randonneurs biking all night on the winter solstice:
- Carol Pierson Holding: Why Mileage-Based Insurance Should Be a Federal Mandate – YES!
- Go Means Go! » Review: Pelican Porteur bag – Review of a completely rad Swift Industries bag.
- Politics | Rep. Giffords to resign from Congress this week | Seattle Times Newspaper – Huge bike supporter leaves Congress to concentrate on her recovery.
- Bike Ban Averted in Albuquerque, City Moves to Add Bike Lanes Instead | Streetsblog Capitol Hill – Excellent bike advocacy kung-fu
- BikePortland.org » SoupCycle reaches milestone 50,000th delivery
- BikePortland.org » Mayor Adams tries Capital Bikeshare: “I like them, they’re cool”
- Ride of the Week: “Ride with Earthcorps” « Cascade Bicycle Club Blog – Sounds like an awesome West Seattle ride!
- Mixed-Use Development Delivers Huge Public Returns Compared to Sprawl | Streetsblog Capitol Hill – Really great visuals
- Biking Bis – Bicycle Touring :: Comparing states and big cities for bicycle commuting and safety
- Majority of Seattle Housing Units are Multifamily – Seattle Transit Blog – Deconstructing the myth that most people in Seattle live in stand-alone houses with yards. They don’t.
- What About Bikes, Mr. President? : TreeHugger
- BikePortland.org » Bikes, Obama, and the State of the Union
- BikePortland.org »New Rose Quarter housing development inspired by, named after a bicycle – Totally awesome.
- BikePortland.org » Dan Kaufman’s media trike confiscated by police during J25 protests – Not cool.
- Survey finds Boulder’s bike industry supports $52 million in sales, hundreds of jobs – Boulder Daily Camera
- House Bill Threatens to Eliminate Bicycle and Pedestrian Funding – Another attempt to cut biking and walking funding. Defending federal investment gets tiresome, but we need to do it.
- Volkswagen announces two-year partnership with Peopleforbikes.org and Bikes Belong | People for Bikes
- Plug-in gadget halts phone texting, apps while driving — Mobile Technology News – Should this be mandatory for repeat texting while driving offenders? Or maybe insurance companies could require it (or offer a reduced rate if you get one). Either way, it’s cool to see this technology in the works.
- How the “Right” to Cheap Parking Makes Streets Less Equitable | Streetsblog.net
- Biking Bis – Bicycle Touring :: First bicycle expedition to the South Pole – Too cool…
- Maze of Minneapolis skyways: A dead end? | StarTribune.com
- Bike parking ordinance passes St. Louis Planning Commission | KMOV.com St. Louis
Finally, this doesn’t sound like the shit I hear cyclists say (then again, I’m not into racing):