Bikey news from around the city, country and globe. As always, this is an open thread.
First up: Have you ever been walking down a sidewalk and get stuck behind a couple people moving slowly and taking up the whole width of the walkway? Here’s one solution:
- Vittorio De Sica’s 1948 ‘The Bicycle Thief’: the greatest of all bicycle movies and one of the best movies of any kind. – TUBULOCITY
- BikePortland.org » What comes first; greenways or bridges?
- Not a Sideshow | Bikeyface – Take the lane to stay safe
- The Best Cycling Story of 2011 | The Bicycle Story
- American bikeshare systems more than doubled in 2011 – Greater Greater Washington
- The conservative case for bicycling | Taking the Lane
- bikes plans and broader visions | Cycle Space – Who should be in charge of writing a bike plan?
- Open for Business | Yehuda Moon and the Kickstand Cyclery – It’s back.
Halftime movie break! Beautiful take on LA’s CicLAvia:
- Central District News – Traffic Circle and Streetside Garden Competition – Neighborhood greenways should hold these!
- Copenhagenize.com – World’s Longest Bicycle Commuter Tunnel Opens
- Copenhagenize.com – A Hub of Copenhagen Cyclists – A list of proposed bike-related “plurals” from a few years ago. Features some great contributions from Seattle’s late Val Kleitz.
- Hark, a vagrant – Good heavens! It’s that awful velocipedestrienne!
- The bold urban future starts now – Salon.com
- BikePortland.org » Beaverton’s cycle track looks great, but doesn’t connect the dots
- Smart Marketing for Sustainable Streets • Why don’t more bike companies do stuff like this…
- SR-520: Before and After Tolling | Sightline Daily
- Ai Weiwei Piles 1,200 Bikes On Top Of Each Other, For Dazzling Effect | Co.Design
- “Playgrounds are an apology for cities no longer tolerant of children.”
- Cycle like the Danes to cut carbon emissions, says study | The Guardian – If every city cycled as much as the Danes, Europe would cut carbon emissions 25 percent.
- Transportation For America » Another Atlanta-area pedestrian suffers similar fate as Raquel Nelson’s son
- Victim says $7k bike ripped off in Capitol Hill burglary | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle
- A List of Don’ts for Women on Bicycles circa 1895 | Brain Pickings
- Spinlister: Peer-To-Peer Bike Sharing Gets Rolling | Co.Exist: World changing ideas and innovation
- 10 bicycling myths debunked | Grist
And, finally, another awesome film about how cool cycling culture in Amsterdam is: