- Bikes are playing a vital role in Japan as power outages, scarce gas and devastated infrastructure make it extremely difficult for people to get around by anything other than human power. @tokyobybike has been providing updates on Twitter. Others writing about the subject: Copenhagenize, Grist, and TIME Magazine. If you are following anyone else, provide links in the comments below.
- In related news, Giant Bicycles is having trouble keeping up with Japanese demand for bikes and anticipates disruptions in bike supply
- But in the midst of all the sorrow in Japan, happy news from that city in Oregon people talk about a lot: Jonathan at Bike Portland has a new child, and he’s super adorable. Congratulations!
- Speaking of Portland, this bike lock must have been so strong that thieves decided it would be easier to saw through the PBOT bike rack instead
- This infographic shows how quickly new cars depreciate in value. Gee, if you include this in your calculations (which you must), driving sure is expensive.
- Cascade’s John Mauro takes DC’s Capital Bikeshare for a spin
- A Christian group in Branson, Missouri, called Jesus Was Homeless is providing free bicycles for the homeless
- GM Nameplate, the company that said the road diet on Nickerson would force them to leave Seattle, is staying after all. So much for a jobs exodus…
- Fifteen women who rule the biking world
- Farmers in rural Fresno County in California are upset about a proposed bike path. Their argument: Pesticides.
- Momentum Magazine has a great photo gallery from the Seattle Bike Expo.
- My partner Kelli from Yoga for Bikers has a new video demonstrating Stoplight Yoga: Yoga you can do on your bike to warm up or while waiting for a drawbridge/long stoplight
- Got a tip? Email: Tom@SeattleBikeBlog.com
From the Bike Events CalendarSep2Tue5:30 pm Connect Westlake Meet-up @ Nickerson Street SaloonConnect Westlake Meet-up @ Nickerson Street SaloonSep 2 @ 5:30 pm – 6:30 pmJoin Connect Westlake for their monthly meet-up at the Nickerson Street Saloon. Connect Westlake is a team of caring neighbors and bicyclists working to build [...]5:30 pm Roosevelt Way Walking Audit co-hosted by University Greenways and Feet FirstRoosevelt Way Walking Audit co-h…Sep 2 @ 5:30 pm – 7:00 pmWhat: A walk to survey and record needed pedestrian improvements along Roosevelt Way Ne in Seattle. This information will be passed along to SDOT and [...]Sep3Wed6:00 pm Roosevelt Way Bike Brainstorm co-hosted by University Greenways & CascadeRoosevelt Way Bike Brainstorm co…Sep 3 @ 6:00 pm – 7:30 pmAn informal brainstorming discussion with maps and design documents to examine whether a protected bike lane could be included as part of the 2015 repaving [...]Sep4Thu8:30 am Seattle Design Commission reviews SR-520 designsSeattle Design Commission review…Sep 4 @ 8:30 am – 11:30 amCome provide input to make sure the SR-520 project provides safe and comfortable connections for people of all ages and abilities. 8:30 – 9:00 am [...]
Bike-Friendly Business Showcase
Subscribe to Seattle Bike Blog
Seattle Bike Blog subscribers receive endless love, some special emails and whatever else we can think up to show our appreciation.
We held a subscriber drive in summer of 2013 and reached our goal of 100 people in one month. Thanks everyone for the support! If you haven't signed up yet, it's not too late:
To sign up, 1) complete this form and 2) set up the payment below.
Seattle Bike Forum
- Small Burke-Gilman work zone in Lake Forest Park this week
- Mother killed on 2nd Ave was attorney who helped bring down Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell
- Truck strikes and kills woman biking on 2nd Ave
- Where should Seattle create a pedestrian plaza next?
- Poll: Nearly every resident wants safe routes to Washington schools
Seattle by Bike Flickr Pool
Tagsballard beacon hill bicycle alliance of washington bike counter bike lanes bike news roundup bike thefts bike works burke-gilman burke-gilman trail capitol hill capitol hill seattle cascade bicycle club central district city council columbia city construction crime cycle tracks deaths dexter downtown ed murray events fremont injuries king county parks mike mcginn missing link neighborhood greenways puget sound bike share rainier valley road diets sdot seattle times sound transit spd uw video wallingford weekend guide westlake west seattle wrecks wsdot