- Bikes are playing a vital role in Japan as power outages, scarce gas and devastated infrastructure make it extremely difficult for people to get around by anything other than human power. @tokyobybike has been providing updates on Twitter. Others writing about the subject: Copenhagenize, Grist, and TIME Magazine. If you are following anyone else, provide links in the comments below.
- In related news, Giant Bicycles is having trouble keeping up with Japanese demand for bikes and anticipates disruptions in bike supply
- But in the midst of all the sorrow in Japan, happy news from that city in Oregon people talk about a lot: Jonathan at Bike Portland has a new child, and he’s super adorable. Congratulations!
- Speaking of Portland, this bike lock must have been so strong that thieves decided it would be easier to saw through the PBOT bike rack instead
- This infographic shows how quickly new cars depreciate in value. Gee, if you include this in your calculations (which you must), driving sure is expensive.
- Cascade’s John Mauro takes DC’s Capital Bikeshare for a spin
- A Christian group in Branson, Missouri, called Jesus Was Homeless is providing free bicycles for the homeless
- GM Nameplate, the company that said the road diet on Nickerson would force them to leave Seattle, is staying after all. So much for a jobs exodus…
- Fifteen women who rule the biking world
- Farmers in rural Fresno County in California are upset about a proposed bike path. Their argument: Pesticides.
- Momentum Magazine has a great photo gallery from the Seattle Bike Expo.
- My partner Kelli from Yoga for Bikers has a new video demonstrating Stoplight Yoga: Yoga you can do on your bike to warm up or while waiting for a drawbridge/long stoplight
- Got a tip? Email: Tom@SeattleBikeBlog.com
From the Bike Events CalendarJun29Monall-day Cascade Bicycle Club Gearheads Camp @ Cascade Bicycling CenterCascade Bicycle Club Gearheads Camp @ Cascade Bicycling CenterJun 29 – Jul 3 all-dayWeek long day camp for 9-12 year olds. 9AM-3PM daily. Details here. FacebookTwitterGoogleStumbleUponRedditPinterestEmailJul5Sun10:00 am Lake Washington Bicycle SundayLake Washington Bicycle SundayJul 5 @ 10:00 am – Jul 5 @ 6:00 pmBicycle or walk along Lake Washington Boulevard south of Mount Baker Beach to Seward Parks entrance. Lake Washington Boulevard will be closed to motorized traffic from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. http://www.seattle.gov/parks/bicyclesunday/ May 3rd, 17th, 31st June 21st, 28th July … Continue reading →11:00 am Bike Works Volunteer Repair Party @ Bike Works ClassroomsBike Works Volunteer Repair Party @ Bike Works ClassroomsJul 5 @ 11:00 am – 2:00 pmAre you a new volunteer? Do you have worktrade debt from a Bike Works class? Are you a volunteer from Bike Works past and want to re-engage? Are you interested in learning more about bikes while participating in some awesome … Continue reading →Jul6Monall-day Cascade Bicycle Club Urban Rider... @ Cascade Bicycling CenterCascade Bicycle Club Urban Rider... @ Cascade Bicycling CenterJul 6 – Jul 11 all-dayWeek long day camp for 11-15 year olds. 9a.m.-3p.m. Develop your urban riding skills. Take long rides on the Burke Gilman Trail. Learn how to repair a flat tire and how to do basic maintenance. Develop your route planning skills. … Continue reading →
Bike-Friendly Business Showcase
Be a Seattle Bike Blog Supporter!
Seattle Bike Blog Supporters receive endless love, some special emails and whatever else we can think up to show our appreciation. We are totally independent, so your support directly powers all this pedal-powered news.
To sign up, just choose a monthly amount that fits your budget and set up auto-payments here:
- The magnificent new UW Burke-Gilman Trail opens
- Our latest look at plans for a new downtown waterfront
- Woman kills 4-year-old walking in Issaquah crosswalk
- WA transportation ‘compromise’ spends billions on highways, ransoms transit but keeps most bike/walk funding
- DUI suspect kills person biking in Ravenna – UPDATE: RIP Andres Hulslander
Seattle by Bike Flickr Pool
Tagsballard beacon hill bicycle alliance of washington bike counter bike lanes bike news roundup bike thefts bike works burke-gilman burke-gilman trail capitol hill capitol hill seattle cascade bicycle club central district city council construction crime cycle tracks deaths dexter downtown ed murray events fremont injuries king county parks mike mcginn missing link neighborhood greenways pronto emerald city cycle share protected bike lanes rainier valley road diets sdot seattle times sound transit spd uw video wallingford washington bikes westlake west seattle wrecks wsdot