- Bikes are playing a vital role in Japan as power outages, scarce gas and devastated infrastructure make it extremely difficult for people to get around by anything other than human power. @tokyobybike has been providing updates on Twitter. Others writing about the subject: Copenhagenize, Grist, and TIME Magazine. If you are following anyone else, provide links in the comments below.
- In related news, Giant Bicycles is having trouble keeping up with Japanese demand for bikes and anticipates disruptions in bike supply
- But in the midst of all the sorrow in Japan, happy news from that city in Oregon people talk about a lot: Jonathan at Bike Portland has a new child, and he’s super adorable. Congratulations!
- Speaking of Portland, this bike lock must have been so strong that thieves decided it would be easier to saw through the PBOT bike rack instead
- This infographic shows how quickly new cars depreciate in value. Gee, if you include this in your calculations (which you must), driving sure is expensive.
- Cascade’s John Mauro takes DC’s Capital Bikeshare for a spin
- A Christian group in Branson, Missouri, called Jesus Was Homeless is providing free bicycles for the homeless
- GM Nameplate, the company that said the road diet on Nickerson would force them to leave Seattle, is staying after all. So much for a jobs exodus…
- Fifteen women who rule the biking world
- Farmers in rural Fresno County in California are upset about a proposed bike path. Their argument: Pesticides.
- Momentum Magazine has a great photo gallery from the Seattle Bike Expo.
- My partner Kelli from Yoga for Bikers has a new video demonstrating Stoplight Yoga: Yoga you can do on your bike to warm up or while waiting for a drawbridge/long stoplight
- Got a tip? Email: Tom@SeattleBikeBlog.com
From our Bike Events CalendarJul30Satall-day Seattle Kidical Mass Bike CampingSeattle Kidical Mass Bike CampingJul 30 – Jul 31 all-dayhttps://familyride.us/2016/06/18/seattle-kidical-mass-bike-camping-july-2016/FacebookTwitterGoogleRedditPinterestPocketEmail8:00 am ALS Ride for Life – up the Snoho... @ Centennial Trail - starting at the Snohomish Soccer DomeALS Ride for Life – up the Snoho... @ Centennial Trail - starting at the Snohomish Soccer DomeJul 30 @ 8:00 amThe Snohomish Ride to Defeat ALS is a one day tour along the breathtaking Centennial Trail. Family Friendly and fully supported. Participants can ride as far as they want on this paved, traffic free trail. Advanced riders can choose 25, … Continue reading →9:00 am Women’s Saturday Group Ride – Ca... @ Cascade Bicycle StudioWomen’s Saturday Group Ride – Ca... @ Cascade Bicycle StudioJul 30 @ 9:00 am – 10:00 amOur friends Tracy Erbeck, Mindy St. Onge, Beth Steen and Ana Martins will be leading a variety of women’s Saturday Group Rides from April through August leaving CBS. These women are all experienced riders, super friendly and supportive. Each woman … Continue reading →10:30 am Beacon safe streets scouting @ d meet at the Maplewood playfield at 12th & SnoqualmieBeacon safe streets scouting @ d meet at the Maplewood playfield at 12th & SnoqualmieJul 30 @ 10:30 am – 12:30 pmFacebookTwitterGoogleRedditPinterestPocketEmailJul31Sunall-day Cycle for Life @ Redhook Brewery
Bike-Friendly Business Showcase
Be a Seattle Bike Blog Supporter!
Seattle Bike Blog Supporters receive endless love, some special emails and whatever else we can think up to show our appreciation. We are totally independent, so your support directly powers all this pedal-powered news.
To sign up, just choose a monthly amount that fits your budget and set up auto-payments here:
- 520 Trail gets so close, yet so far
- Help shape updated plans for Madison BRT and nearby safety improvements
- SW Admiral Way bike lanes ready for summer construction
- Your dinner plans tonight: Eat at one of these Spoke & Food 2016 restaurants
- Finally, a trip-planning app that mixes bike share and transit
Seattle by Bike Flickr Pool
Tagsballard beacon hill bicycle alliance of washington bike counter bike lanes bike news roundup bike thefts bike works burke-gilman burke-gilman trail capitol hill capitol hill seattle cascade bicycle club central district city council construction crime cycle tracks deaths dexter downtown ed murray events fremont injuries king county parks mike mcginn missing link neighborhood greenways pronto emerald city cycle share protected bike lanes puget sound bike share rainier valley road diets sdot seattle neighborhood greenways seattle times sound transit spd uw wallingford washington bikes westlake west seattle wsdot