Copenhagenize visits the University of Mexico City. Incredible stuff:
This roundup has so much good stuff in it. Apparently nobody told the world’s bikers that it’s winter, and they should stop doing cool stuff (okay, some of these are from the southern hemisphere). Here goes. I hope you didn’t plan on getting much done today.
- Tom Vanderbilt rides along with a New York man who may have the longest bike commute in the country (50 miles each way!)
- Portland considers a “sonic bike path.” Sonic? Sounds like Seattle turf y’all are steppin’ on down there… (I want one!)
- Washington’s Vulnerable Users Bill is actually less punitive than bills in other states, reports Biking Bis. Some want criminal charges with jail time.
- Bike infrastructure is by far the most cost-effective transportation investment. Need a pretty infographic to convince you?
- Statewide school funding troubles? Well, an Illinois group suggests cutting school buses and promoting Safe Routes to School instead.
- Keegan Hamilton at Seattle Weekly thinks Seattle should get a D-League basketball team and name it the Seattle Sharrows. I love it.
- A group in Adelaide says children who cycle grow up to be better drivers. I would prefer them to grow up to be better cyclists, but baby steps …
- The Metro Times in Detroit gets excited about Bike Porn 4: Play.
- Hybrid cars are more dangerous to pedestrians and cyclists.
- A nephew of the Dalai Lama was killed by an SUV while walking on a Florida highway in support of Tibetan freedom.
- 2009 cyclist fatalities, state by state.
- Seattle Times Pacific NW piece: “It’s pretty obvious drivers are the chief problem.”
- Treating Parkinson’s Disease with tandem bikes.
- A South African cyclist on his way to work had to use his bike to fend off a leopard attack. And yet I complain about potholes…
- Mount Rainier’s Carbon River road is becoming a biking and walking trail.
- What should come first, bikeways or bike sharing? Do we need to choose?
- As bicycle use in Minneapolis rises, the rate of collisions with motor vehicles falls. This is more evidence that “safety in numbers” should be out loudest bike safety cause.
- A San Fransisco man goes to court to defend his right to ride a tall bike. He wins.
- Cascade’s RSVP 2 lottery is open through February 23.
- “So what did you study in college?” “Bicycling.”
- A bike-powered Porsche.
- Copenhagenize suggests a few small edits to these Hyundai commercials to make them great bicycle ads.
- Help build a sweet Scraper Bike shelter.
This is an open thread. Post your thoughts about anything.